Hello, first post of the year! Yes, life happens and sucks one into a crazy whirlwind of busy-ness.
It’s interesting how a hairstyle can instantly transform one’s appearance and influence other people’s perceptions about one’s character, personality or lifestyle.
Recently, I became bored with weaves, braids and corn-rows. I also started going to the gym five times a week and wanted a protective hairstyle that allowed liberal amounts of air to reach my scalp plus, kept hair away from my neck and face. I saw this curled threading hairstyle on Kemi Lewis’ blog and was determined, come fire and brimstone, to thread my hair.
Iya Dayo my hairstylist was able to make my wish come true and I loved my tidy new look, it was very retro and I’d whip out my Ruby Woo lipstick daily just because!
I had some pretty amusing conversations with people during the course of this hairstyle:
1. Stereotypers: “Your hair is nice, are you a Deeper Lifer?” “Oh! Is your hair natural?”
2. Men searching for seemingly pious-looking wives: “I like your hairstyle, You look so natural / beautiful, where are you off to?”
3. Concerned Mother (Pre-threading): “Thread? But why? The hairstyle you look prettiest in is that lovely weave”
4. Concerned Mother (Post-threading): “Oh! you look nice, so different, natural beauty! Do you think it will suit me?” Lol
5. “Imma pat my weave till I die” chicks: (with their eyes) “hmmm, this gehl is bold o, me I kent try dis kain rough play”
6. The Bewildered: “This your hair sha…”
7. The Seemingly Impressed: “I really like your hair, where did you get it done?”, ” I love your hair, that’s my next hairstyle!”
The truth is that style, trend and public validation definitely influence our fashion choices as per clothes, hair and make-up.
I find that when you dictate your own style, step out of the trend zone and, to an extent, not seek other people’s validation, you will feel a little powerful from the attention because you will get noticed when you look different from the norm.
A sewing project is baking in the oven, will post it soon 😀